I don’t know about the rest of you, but the New Year always bring about in me the sudden urge to clean out everything. Part of that whole fresh start thing, right? It’s also one of the few resolutions I’ll actually stick to while I still have the motivation. Plus, this year, I already made a resolution to spend on nice things I actually want instead of cheap stuff that will momentarily satiate my desire for an entirely new closet and to add to my closet the things that will make getting dressed so much easier (those things that I’m always saying, “ugh I really wish I had…”) like a nice black leather moto jacket (I have a leather baseball jacket but I wanted a more biker style one to add that cool edge to outfits), or a nice new black coat. As part of that, I want to clean out my closet to make room for these basics and weed out the extras that I really never wear, or wear and immediately regret so that everyday dressing is easier and I can look chic every day this year without much effort.
I always like to start my closet clean-out with purging and then organizing my clothes, followed by shoes and next up, would be my bags (sort of in order of the size of my collections). I’ve never really found a great way for storing my bags in a way that makes it easy to find them, keep them in great condition, and swap them out on the reg without tons of effort, so I spent a lot of time in the black hole of Pinterest and researching tons of organizational sites and books to find the best tips for storing purses to help me get all my handbags in order once and for all.
1. Line up bags on overhead shelves. Place the ones you use the least on the highest shelves and keep your everyday bags on lower shelves you can more easily reach.
2. Use cubbies to keep bags organized.
3. Sort purses.
4. Use clear dividers to organize purses on shelves or in cabinets.
5. Lay large totes flat on shelves.
6. Keep bags you use all the time front and center on open shelves or cubbies.
7. Display bags on bookshelves.
8. Fill bags with tissue paper, dust bags, and/or t-shirts to keep upright on shelves.
9. Use shelf dividers to keep bags organized on shelves.
10. Turn a bookshelf into a purse cubby by adding hooks for tote bags and lining up clutches on shelves.
11. Hang totes on shower curtain rings.
12. Arrange totes along shower curtain rods.
13. Store small purses in plastic stacking shelves.
14. Hang totes on a floor mirror.
15. Corral clutches in magazine files
16. Keep your bag collection safe in a cabinet.
17. Go for a cabinet or armoire with clear doors to make it easier to see all your bags.
18. Hang bags on wall hooks.
19. Line up bags on the back of your door.
20. Place clutches in open trays.
21. Install narrow baskets along closets walls.