One of my favorite parts about summer is that you can just throw on a breezy maxi dress and look instantly cute and put-together. Meanwhile, in winter, there’s really no such thing as a throw on and go outfit. Even if you’re going with my favorite go-to winter piece, the sweater dress, there’s tights to contend with, and then you’re still freezing because even with wool ones, they’re never that warm.
That’s why I love wearing maxi dresses in winter. They’re long and breezy so you can layer leggings or heavy tights underneath. Yes, layers under and/or over are still required, but unlike your standard short or even midi-dress, I love how maxi dresses are an unexpected option for winter.
The best part? You don’t need to buy a new set of maxi dresses for cold weather. Just follow these tips for styling your fave maxi dresses for winter.
- Layer tights or leggings underneath.
- Add boots — ankle or knee boots work. Or try sneakers for a more comfy option. Heels work for dressier occasions.
- Layer a thin turtleneck underneath.
- For added warmth, try a moto jacket, chunky cardigan, or fur vest on top.
- Or top with a chunky sweater to turn your maxi dress into a skirt.
Check out more ideas for how to wear a maxi dress in winter.