One of my favorite parts about summer is that you can just throw on a breezy maxi dress and look instantly put-together. Meanwhile, in winter, there’s really no such thing as a throw on and go outfit. Even if you’re going with my favorite go-to winter piece, the sweater dress, there’s tights to contend with, and then you’re still freezing because even the wool ones are never that warm. That’s why I love wearing a maxi dress in winter (and fall too for the record).
There are lots of advantages to wearing a maxi dress in winter. Maxi dresses are long and breezy, so you can layer thermal leggings, long underwear, or heavy tights underneath to keep your legs extra warm without killing the look. If I’m repurposing a summery maxi dress, I’ll throw a fitted long-sleeve top or turtleneck under and a cardigan or blazer for a cool layered look. The great thing about maxi dresses is they offer more coverage than other dresses, and they’re unexpected for winter, which I love.
Plus, wearing a maxi dress in winter is the perfect way to stretch your wardrobe further. You don’t need to buy a new set of maxi dresses for cold weather. Just follow these tips for styling your fave maxi dress for winter.
- Wear tights or leggings underneath.
- Add boots. Or try sneakers for a comfier option. Heels work for dressier occasions.
- Layer a thin turtleneck or long sleeve shirt underneath.
- For added warmth, try a cropped jacket, blazer, chunky cardigan, or vest on top.
- Or wear a chunky sweater over to turn your maxi dress into a skirt.
Check out more ideas for how to wear a maxi dress in winter.